PHMDC Header

Indoor Air quality

Reporting a Problem

The following list will help you contact the agency that would best be able to address your concern:

  • Public building. Call the Department Commerce, Division of Safety and Buildings at (608) 266-2780.
  • Private non-residential building. Call the State Division of Health, Bureau of Public Health, Occupational Health Section at (608) 266-9383. 
  • Residential. Call the Public Health – Madison and Dane County at (608) 266-4821.
  • Indoor Air Quality Consultants List (PDF)

When calling Public Health, be prepared to talk about the following:

  • Symptoms, e.g., nausea, eye irritation, burning or stinging eyes, respiratory problems, nasal congestion or running nose, dizziness, headache, and other.
  • In which room or rooms do these symptoms usually occur?
  • Do you feel better after leaving the suspected area?
  • At what time of day do these symptoms usually occur?
  • Are there any new events, changes or hobbies in your home environment that began within a month of the start of your symptoms, e.g., new carpeting, new construction, addition of gas heating, cooking or clothes dryer?

Go to Specific Indoor Air Quality Problems

Key Contacts
Wisconsin State Occupational Health Lab: (608) 224-6210

(608) 266-4821
Email: Public Health

Hazardous Materials / Clean Sweep