Who can get lead poisoning?
Anyone can get lead poisoning, but children between 6 months and six years of age are at highest risk. Children can be poisoned by lead when they eat or inhale dust, paint chips or other materials containing lead.
Why are children at highest risk?
Small children put everything in their mouths. They play on the ground and floor where paint chips and dust may have fallen. When children chew on things with lead or lead dust, they may become poisoned by lead. They also:
- Put fingers and toys into their mouths.
- Chew and put their mouth on painted window sills, furniture, and railings.
- Eat dirt and paint chips.
What are the risks of lead poisoning?
Even low levels of lead in the blood of children can result in:
- Behavior and learning problems
- Lower IQ and Hyperactivity
- Slowed growth
- Hearing Problems