Free COVID-19 Community Testing Site
Alliant Energy Center: 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way, Madison, WI 53713
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 8:00am – 4:00pm, and
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 am – 8:00pm.
- Drive-thru, bike-up, or walk-up.
- If you use the walk or bike-up lane, you must wear a mask. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.
- If you drive, you cannot use the walk-up lane. The walk up lane is reserved for those who bike or walk to the Alliant Energy Center.
- You can have multiple family members in your car to be tested.
- For a free ride to the site, call the Public Health Transportation Line at (608) 243-0420. A transportation company will then call you to schedule the ride. It’s preferred that you wear a cloth face covering when using this service.
- You can pre-register before you go. If that's not possible, you can register onsite.
- No appointments necessary
- No ID is needed and you won't be asked for your immigration status
- Spanish and Hmong translators are available onsite
- The test site will be open until at least August 31, 2020.
- In the event of severe weather: testing will continue through severe weather up to and including a tornado watch. In the event of a tornado warning we will pause operations (including closing exterior doors) and shelter in place until the watch has expired and it is safe to resume operations.
- If you're able to be tested at your doctor's office, we encourage you to do so.
- There is currently high demand for the community testing site, which can make wait times unpredictable and several hours long. Please be prepared for a wait. We recommend using the restroom before leaving home, bringing water and snacks, and making sure you can stay cool during the wait. Make sure you have a full tank of gas and please don't bring your pets.
You can leave the line at any time. If you need help finding an exit, please let a staff person know and they can guide you.
- Coordinated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and National Guard
You Can Be Tested
- Anyone 5 years of age and older can get tested at the community testing site. Kids under 5 years old are not eligible for testing at the community test site. Anyone 5-17 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian authorized to give consent for the COVID-19 test on their behalf.
- COVID-19 testing is strongly recommended for:
- Any resident experiencing any (even if mild) symptoms. COVID-19 symptoms can be: cough, difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell.
- People who are uninsured and do not have a primary care provider
- Essential workers who are not able to always socially distance at work, including: food service workers, meat packing plant workers, dairy farm workers, first responders, and health care workers
- Contacts of people who been diagnosed with COVID-19
How Testing Works
1. Arrive at Alliant Energy Center
You will enter off of Alliant Energy Center Way from Rimrock Road. The address is 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way, Madison WI 53713.
Follow signage to the testing lane. Stay in your car. If you don't have a car, there is also testing available for you.
While you wait, you can save time by registering online:
- Follow these instructions on how to register. If you don't register online, you will still be tested. Staff will register you, but it will take more time.
- No identification is necessary. You'll be asked your name, birthday, address, phone number, race, ethnicity, and gender. By asking for race, ethnicity, and gender we can better identify possible disparities.
- Please note: You only need to register online once. If you get tested again, you do not need to register online again. You can reuse your original registration and QR code for multiple tests.
After checking in, a worker in PPE will take a sample by swabbing about one inch inside your nose.
4. Lab Testing
This sample is sent to a lab to see if you have COVID-19. Remember this test will only tell us if you have COVID-19 right now. It does not tell us if you had COVID-19 in the past.
5. Get Results
Wait for Results
Until you have your test results, limit contact with others. This is very important, especially if you been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19, or if you have symptoms like fever, cough, and sore throat.
Expect a Call with Your Results
You will receive a phone call from the Wisconsin National Guard or our staff as soon as your results are ready. Results can take 3-5 business days or longer. We cannot expedite test results.
Get a Paper Copy of Your Results
Once you have received your results by phone, if you need written documentation of your results as well, you may complete this form.
Don't Let Your Guard Down
Remember that your test is a snapshot in time. COVID-19 is circulating in our community, and you could still be exposed to the virus in the future. Don’t let your guard down—keep up the strong prevention measures you’ve been taking to prevent the spread of COVID-19.