Finding Dental and Health Care Services
Figuring out the health care system can be challenging and getting care can be expensive. Find resources below to help you get care and connect with lower cost clinics if your income is limited.
How to Find a Primary Care Doctor or Clinic
- Do you have health insurance? You can:
- Call you insurance company or HMO. They can tell you which doctors are taking new patients and accept your insurance.
- Call a medical clinic and ask if they accept your insurance.
- If you need help finding clinic locations and phone numbers, you can call United Way 211 (dial 2-1-1).
- If you need an interpreter, tell the clinic when you make your appointment.
- Don’t have health insurance? See our list of Free and Lower Cost Clinic Options, below.
- Access Community Health Centers: Madison: (608) 443-5480, Sun Prairie: (608) 825-7100
- Concentra: East Madison: (608) 244-1213, West Madison: (608) 829-1888
- MEDiC Clinics: (608) 265-4972
- Our Lady of Hope Clinic: (608) 819-8544
- Planned Parenthood: Madison East: 1-800-493-1052, Madison South: 1-800-493-1052
- Neighborhood Free Health Clinic: (608) 205-0505
Public Health Madison & Dane County
We can help you with:
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment
- Immunizations for children and adults
- Nursing visits during pregnancy
- Breastfeeding support
- The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Dane County. They help older adults and people with disabilities get the services they need. Call (608) 240-7400.
Mental Health & Substance Use Services
If you have health insurance, call your insurance company or ask your primary care doctor where to go.
- Behavioral Health Resource Center: (608) 267-2244
- Journey Mental Health Center: (608) 280-2720
- First Breath: (608) 251-1675
- Wisconsin Tobacco QuitLine: 1-800-784-8669
- DAIS: (608) 251-4445 or 1-800-747-4045
- NAMI Dane County: (608) 249-7188
- Comprehensive Community Services: (608) 242-6415
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
No Surprises Act
The No Surprises Act bans surprise medical bills.
It covers you if:
- You have health insurance through your employer
- You have health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace
- You purchased an individual health insurance plan
- You got care from an out of network provider
- You got care without getting approval first
You already have protection from surprise medical bills if you have:
- Indian Health Services
- Veterans Affairs Health Care
Lower Cost Prescriptions
- If you have health insurance, ask your primary care doctor.
- St. Vincent's Charitable Pharmacy: 2033 Fish Hatchery Rd., Madison, WI 53713. Call (608) 257-0919.
Low Cost Dental Options
- More Smiles Wisconsin: (608) 665-2752
- Access Community Health Centers Dental Services
- Affordable Dental Care, Inc.: English: (608) 622-4002
- Vivent Health: (608) 252-6540; (800) 486-6276
- Madison College Dental Hygiene Clinic: (608) 258-2400
- Affordable Dentures-Madison, S.C.: (608) 292-9630
- Familia Dental: East Madison (608) 819-9104, West Madison (608) 720-1112
Dental care for special needs:
- The Gardetto Family Community Dental Clinic (Milwaukee): (414) 210-2440
- Wisconsin Dental Association Foundation Donated Dental Services Program: (866) 812-9840
School-Based Dental Care for Children
These programs provide school based dental care for children. Ask your child’s school for information:
Private Dental Clinics
Some private dental clinics offer new patient offers which include an exam, x-rays and cleaning at a greatly reduced fee. Look online for “new patient dental offers.”
Statewide Community Dental Clinics
See a list of clinics that provide dental care to people with low income and no insurance.