Finding Health Care Services
Figuring out the health care system can be challenging and getting care can be costly. The resources below can help you get care and connect with lower cost clinics if you have limited income.
Finding a Primary Care Doctor or Clinic
- Your insurance company (HMO) can tell you which doctors are covered and taking new patients. You can also call medical clinics directly.
- If you need help to find clinic locations and phone numbers, you can call United Way 211 (dial 2-1-1).
- If you need an interpreter, tell the clinic when you make your appointment.
- See our list of Free and Lower Cost Clinic Options
Mental Health Services & Substance Abuse
- Ask your primary care doctor
- Call your insurance company to find out where to go
- Recovery Dane referral service: (608) 237-1661
- Journey Mental Health Center: (608) 280-2720
- First Breath:(608) 251-1675 Free program to help all people quit smoking.
- Wisconsin Tobacco QuitLine: 1-800-784-8669
- DAIS: (608) 251-4445 or 1-800-747-4045 Domestic Violence Support
- NAMI Dane County: (608) 249-7188 Support for individuals and families with mental illness.
- Comprehensive Community Services: Youth (608) 283-1400, Adult (608) 242-6415 For those with Medical Assistance and a mental health and/or substance use issue needing rehab services.
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
Lower Cost Prescriptions
- Ask your primary care doctor
- St. Vincent's Charitable Pharmacy: 2033 Fish Hatchery Rd., Madison, WI 53713. Call (608) 257-0919 to ask about their hours
- See our Oral Health section.
- Accepts insurance and BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid, and provides lower cost care for those without insurance.
- (608) 443-5480
- Medical and dental clinics in south Madison, east Madison and Sun Prairie
- Urgent care, sports physicals, occupational and immigration health screening, and other care. Does not accept BadgerCare Plus; payment is required at time of service.
- East: 1619 N. Stoughton Rd., Madison, WI 53704 (608) 244-1213
- West: 358 Junction Rd., Madison, WI 53717 (608) 829-1888
- Free walk in services offered by UW School of Medicine and Public Health for those who don’t have insurance or a primary care doctor. No emergency or sexual health concern visits.
- (608) 265-4972
- 2202 S. Park St., Madison, WI 53713
- Saturdays, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Provides care to those not eligible for BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid. No contraceptives or STI testing.
- (608) 819-8544
- 6425 Odana Rd., Madison, WI 53719
- Low cost reproductive health care. Offers abortion services. Accepts BadgerCare Plus/Medicaid.
- Madison East
- (608) 241-3767
- 3706 Orin Rd, Madison, WI 53704
- Madison South
- (608) 251-6546
- 2222 S. Park St., Suite 210, Madison, WI 53713
Public Health Madison & Dane County
Find out more information about our health care services:
- Breast and cervical cancer screening and treatment
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment
- Immunizations for children and adults
- Nursing services during pregnancy
- Breastfeeding support
- Full service Obstetric and Gynecology clinic that serves patients regardless of ability to pay.
- (608) 417-6667
- 202 S. Park St., Madison - Meriter Hospital
- For adults who live within the area surrounding Stoughton Hospital, with low income, and with no health insurance or high deductibles.
- (608) 205-0505
- 1116 Ridge St., Stoughton, 1st and 3rd Thursdays 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- Children: Primary Access for Kids (PAK) program for Madison students - ask your school nurse
- Older adults and people with disabilities: The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Dane County connects older adults and people with disabilities to the services they need. Call (608) 240-7400.