Health Insurance Options
Having health insurance can be key to gaining access to comprehensive care. Without it, it is harder to access care, and is easy to be burdened with large medical bills.
If you can get good, affordable coverage through your job or spouse's job, you should take it. If you don't, you may not be eligible for certain other options.
If you are under 26 years old, you can stay on your parent's insurance. You might also be eligible for BadgerCare Plus or your own Marketplace plan that would save money.
Low-Income Citizens and Immigrants: BadgerCare Plus
BadgerCare Plus is Medicaid for low income citizens and qualified immigrants, up to age 65. Children and pregnant women are eligible at higher income levels. To find out if anyone in your family is eligible and to apply at any time, call 1-888-794-5556 or go to ACCESS.
Marketplace Insurance Plans
(Also known as Obamacare, Healthcare.gov, or Affordable Care Act)
Open enrollment for 2019 coverage is over.
You can enroll in or change plans if you have certain life changes. You will need to sign up for Marketplace Coverage within 60 days of:
- Loss of coverage: Loss of coverage from a job, COBRA, BadgerCare Plus, student health plan, or turning 26 and losing parent’s insurance
- Changes in household size: Birth or adoption, marriage, divorce, legal separation, death
- Immigration: Gain of citizenship or lawful presence in the US
- Moving: A permanent move out of county that results in access to new plans
- Release from incarceration or jail
Other events that let you sign up for Marketplace during the year:
- Tribal Membership: Members of a federally recognized tribe may enroll at any time of the year.
- Mistake on application: The Marketplace or a professional made a mistake on your application.
- Hardship: Medical emergency, financial hardship, or victim of domestic violence during Open Enrollment
Go to healthcare.gov to find out more, or call 1-800-318-2596.
Need help with paying for insurance? Call 211 or go to United Way of Dane County Health Connect
Seniors and People with Disabilities
Call the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Dane County for information and help to apply: (608) 240-7400.
Children's Long-Term Support Services
Compass Wisconsin: Threshold assists families to apply for all available benefits for children with special health care needs. Call (608) 692-2865 or go to CompassWisconsin.
Need Help? Contact Covering Wisconsin
Provides health coverage options and materials to help find the best insurance for each individual. Call (608) 261-1455 for an appointment or go to Covering Wisconsin.
Health Insurance Options for You and Your Family, Information Sheet from Covering Wisconsin