Medical bill and health insurance forms

Know What’s Covered

If you have insurance and have questions about what services are covered, call your health insurance company. Their number should be located on your wallet insurance card.

If you can't afford out-of-pocket health care costs, ask your doctor or hospital about their financial assistance programs.

Assistance Resources

No Surprises Act

The No Surprises Act  bans surprise medical bills, even if you get them from an out of network provider and without getting approval first.

It covers you if you have health insurance through:

  • Your employer
  • The Health Insurance Marketplace,
  • An individual health insurance plan you purchased

Learn about other things banned by the No Surprises Act .
Get help disputing a surprise bill from the No Surprises Act.

If you have health insurance listed below, you already have protection from surprise medical bills:

  • Medicare
  • Medicaid
  • Indian Health Services
  • Veterans Affairs Health Care

Other Resources

  • The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Dane County provides free information and assistance to older adults and people with disabilities. Call (608) 240-7400 or go to ADRC.
  • ABC for Health provides legal assistance to people who have problems with health insurance or medical bills. Call (608) 261-6939 or go to ABC for Health Can Help.