Dental Pain Algorithm for Providers
Standardized treatment protocol, best prescribing practices, and referral process for patients with non-traumatic dental pain from the Oral Health Coalition of Dane County.
After evaluation, if cause of dental pain is non-traumatic:
- Pen VK 500 mg every 6 hours x5 days OR Clindamycin 300 mg every 8 hours x5 days.
- Dental abscess: Pen VK 500 mg every 6 hours x5 days OR Clindamycin 300 mg every 8 hours x5 days PLUS metronidazole 500 mg twice daily x5 days.
- Ibuprofen 200 mg + Acetaminophen 500 mg combination provides more pain relief than Hydrocodone.
- Hydrocodone 5-325; Maximum 10 per Rx. Explain to patient that there will be no refills.
- St. Mary’s ED in Sun Prairie will follow their existing referral protocol to ACHC Sun Prairie.